[alfa] Re: ROLL BARRED

A properly built roll bar made out of good materials can be kept in the vehicle depending on the crash.  I've seen race trucks (desert race - not that roundy round BS) go over going about 80+ MPH go end over end multiple times in the dirt and be structurally fine.  There might be a tube or 2 that is bent or cracked and can be replaced, but many times it is not the case.  These cages are often built out of 4130 chomoly though, and if not chomo then DOM (which is just a higher grade, seemless mild steel tube).
Having seen an autopower cage up close (my unlce's got one in his 65 GT) it's pretty good for an off the shelf, bolt in roll bar.  Far superior to some bolt in cages I have seen for trucks.
One question I have though is why is ERW banned in SCCA now?  Has there been a history of people using hot rolled instead of cold rolled steel, or possibly bending the tube with the seam on the outside of the bend (making the seam prone to tearing)?  It seems that a properly designed roll bar or cage made out of regualr seamed mild steel would be plenty strong for most of the SCCA stuff.

Steve Hartman
Balboa Island, CA
72 GTV - Project street car
71 GTV Euro - sadly has to leave NOW
89 Ford Ranger - off road race project
89 Honda Civic SI - Ricey daily driver (eeewwww)