Re: [alfa] Webers and MPG

Greg commented:
-------------------------
All the carping and sarcasm aside--a SPICA pump with an electronically
controlled linear positioner on the fuel control rack would make a RATHER
slick system--- and likely be superior to electromagnetically controlled
injectors in many respects.

Further-- the advantages of fully programmable ignition timing are probably
significantly greater than those of modern, programmable electronic fuel
control !
-------------------------

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say Greg - Yes, good control over
the ignition is valuable - My mid 80s technology Uno Turbo has basically
standard L-Jet injection, but a fairly sophisticated Microplex ign system
with mapped ign curves, retard under boost, knock detection etc. It works
well.

However modern factory (not that modern in fact, my 84 Alfetta had Motronic)
or aftermarket programmable engine management systems normally control BOTH
the ign and injection. I suppose that there might be something to be gained
by fitting a programmable ign only system to a SPICA or carbed car, but by
the time you've got the sensors fitted you might as well fit an EFI
manifold, fuel system etc and be done with it...

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce (best looking, but slowest of the fleet.. for
now)
1989 Fiat Uno Turbo (with new clutch.. Yee-hah, shame about the front tyres)
1999 Fiat Marea Wagon, 2.0 20V