Re: [alfa] re: 147 knock-off (Mazda 3)

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Joe Elliott wrote:

> Gee, looks like they went ahead and included an almost-exact copy of
> the 147's gauge cluster, too.  How nice of them.
> http://www.autoweek.com/weekart/2003/1006/mazda3int250.jpg
> http://www.contcars.co.nz/features/147/147_files/147_img_07_wheel_rds.jpg

Even the steering wheel looks remarkably alike. Digging into more
pictures, 147_img_07_connect.jpg, even the center console is similar, with
three pronounced round knobs for something just a finger reach away from
the shifter. Then these:
http://www.autoweek.com/weekart/2003/1006/mazda34001.jpg
http://www.contcars.co.nz/features/147/147_files/147_img_52rds.jpg
Cover up the front grills and door handles, which car is which? Hard to
tell.

I know we've seen some serious copying before, but this is the most
noticeable I've seen in a long time. Wonder if it handles anywhere close
to comparable as the 147.

Remember how everyone keeps saying the 147 would sell great in the states?
We should watch the sales on the 3 and see what happens.

Of course, if Alfa keeps dragging its heels on coming back to the states,
the japanese and other asian car cos may copy the best about Alfa and get
it here first, which means Alfa won't be as distinguishable as it could
have been, which may also mean their sales won't be as good either. :(

> Honestly, besides Honda's variable valve timing of 1989 (first to
> include variable lift), has the Japanese auto industry ever done
> anything original?

I thought VVT was in Alfas earlier than that. Or is Alfa's VVT different,
just variable timing on a set lift and not variable lift?