[alfa] Epilogue: Removing Broken Engine-to-Transmission Stud?

About two weeks ago I asked the Digest how to remove a broken stud:

"... one of the four studs which mount in the engine block and extend through the transmission to hold the two units together. This particular stud is the one above the clutch slave cylinder, and it is sheared off such that a) the break is not flat but angled; and b) there is no protrusion from the engine block, and the stud remains are slightly recessed."

Based on digest suggestions, I used the method of welding a nut on to the broken stud and simply unscrewing the remains. On stud described above, I welded the nut on the starter side rather than the flywheel side, and access was pretty good. After the stud remains were removed I ran a bolt through the threads (from the starter side) and the new stud screwed in easily.

//kct, Powell, TN