[alfa] RE: ignition switch

To troubleshoot the ignition switch you will need either a voltmeter or
a 12 volt test lamp. Your local auto parts store has some small light
fixtures with pig-tail wires useful for this purpose. Ground one of
the pig-tail wires and use the other wire as a test probe. Now the
problem: upper terminals 1-5 of the fuse box(numbered from the left)
always have +12 volts. Confirm this by touching the test probe to
each of the lower terminals and see the bulb light. No light means a
blown or corroded fuse.
Next, turn the ignition switch to "ON". This will send +12 volts to
upper
fuse terminals 6,7,&8 if the ignition switch is good. Test each of the
lower terminals to verify all fuses good. You may just have an inter-
mittent corroded fuse. If necessary, flip the ign switch "ON" several
times to verify that it always works while holding the test probe to
upper fuse terminal 6. This procedure should verify if the ignition
switch is good or not.

>I have a question for all of you. My 88 alfa graduate has an intermittent
>starting problem. It has done this for some time but is getting worse all of
>the time. When you turn the key the starter turns over but it does not fire
>the spark plugs.

Good luck!
Gil
Port Orange, FL