Re: [alfa] Thank You to the Boniface family

Ah, the Boniface barbecue.  I haven't been there in years, but I remember it fondly.

It was an almost surreal experience - finding an incredible assortment of fine Italian automobiles, quietly hidden in a sleepy Ohio town.  The Boniface family kindly made the rounds to the various buildings, rousing the beasts; the more amenable ones shook off the dust of slumber and made their way onto the lawn to sun themselves.

Just off the top of my head, I remember some great examples of all sorts of Italian makes - a Lancia Appia Zagato GTE, a Lambo, assorted Alfas, a Fiat Dino, and an ex-race Scaglietti-bodied Ferrari Spyder that started life as a 212 Coupe, just to name a few.

All of this was hosted by one of the nicest families you'll every meet - Dr. Boniface strolled about, sharing tidbits of info about the cars, and was just as passionate about the recently arrived Fiat 500 as he was the Lamborghini sitting just a few yards away.

After everyone had used up about a dozen rolls of film, we retired to the back yard for chicken that had been slow roasting on a spit for hours - truly incredible.

At the time, I was living overseas, and had planned my vacation trip back to the states in order to be able to hit Nelson Ledges (strictly as a spectator).  All I can say, even having spent 27 hours in the air and 16 hours on layovers, is that the weekend was definitely worth it.

- Paul Witek