Re: [alfa] RE: Broken tranny stud

Gilbert Gagne wrote:

At a machine shop some time ago I observed them removing a broken stud
from an Alfa cylinder head. The machine burned out the stud remains by
means of an electric arc. Don't know what frequency or amperage. It did
not seem to touch or affect the aluminum in any way.
They were using EDM (Electrical Discharge Machining) to erode the stud. It will cut just about any metal. It's especially handy for cutting/drilling materials that would be too hard to machine otherwise (like solid carbide.)

EDM explanation:
http://www.timgoldstein.com/cad_cam/edm.htm

How to build your own mini-EDM system
http://artsci.wustl.edu/~jmelson/edm.html

(I've been meaning to do this for a long time.)

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org