[alfa] Need Spider Rear Suspension Advice

Dear Alfa-Digest,

My daily driver, a 74 Alfa Spider, affectionately known as - Sophia the
B*tch - needs, at the very least, her rear suspension rejuvenated.  Lately
she9s been a PITA.  When you drive over a bumpy road you need earplugs due
to the deafening decibel level produced by the suspension banging around.
Even when you change lanes on the freeway and hit those little lane markers
it feels like you are driving on steel rims. Don9t tell her but she also
sags a little in the rear.  That could be normal.  Is it?

I figure after 130,000 miles she may need a nip and tuck here and there.   I
just don9t know how much work to tackle while keeping an eye on costs.  If
money were no object it would probably make sense to just replace
everything.  But money is an object.  I have already had the front bushings
replaced and the front suspension was given a good bill of health by my
local Scottish Alfa mechanic - go figure.

Upon inspection I noticed that the rear shocks are red so they were replaced
at some later point and seem to function well.   Other than sagging the
springs 3look2 ok.  The bushings on the end of the trailing arms are shot
particularly on the driver9s side.  After reading all the challenges of
removing stubborn trailing arm bushings I am somewhat reluctant to do the
work myself and will probably farm out the work.  The spacers on the ends of
the trunion are gone.  The bushings on the sway bar 3look2 ok.

When it comes to determining which components I should choose, I9m lost.
I9ve read about so many different combinations of components, of what to
replace and what to replace it with, I thought I9d just ask for folk9s
experience.  I am hoping to get advice from those on the list that have been
there - done that.  I am looking for an economical solution that will
support nothing more than occasional spirited driving.  At this point she is
not going on the track.

What and what type replacement components combinations should I be
considering? - springs, shocks bushings (obviously)?   Can I get by with
just replacing the rear components or am I being penny wise and
pound-foolish.?

While replacing the center driveshaft support and bearing I discovered that
her u-joints and slip joint were shot.  I wound up having a new rear section
fabricated.  And now, thankfully, the thump, thump, thump that occurred with
aggressive acceleration from a standing start is gone.  At least there9s one
noise gone.

Thank you all for your advice.

Mike
74 Spider - Sophia, she goes like stink!