Re: [alfa] 156 overheating

Thanks Jonathon, for sharing your analytical logic.

I have
an engine which generates heat
two radiators with fans that dissipate heat
a water filled and pumped transfer system between, controlled by a
thermostatic valve

The water and the thermostatic valve are ok.  The pump certainly circulates
the water, although possibly not as well as it should. It is untested and
remains to me a last resort test because of cost and complexity.
There is one thing that could just indicate poor water circulation.
When it is hot, and I put the heater on full, there is a good blast of hot
air few a few minutes, and then the heat output falls away.  This may just
indicate that the pump isn't circulating water through the rads as well as
it should

I think the discussion over temp sensor(s), guage and idiot light is a red
herring.  I am pretty sure that the car IS overheating, and the the guage
and light are correctly functioning in indicating this.

The radiator is only 4 years old looks clean, has been flushed through (no
sediment) and seems OK.

The fan, or rather the control system, is where I think the fault lies.  The
fan certainly runs.  I hadn't detected two speeds though? And I do think it
is erratic.  On one occasion it came on almost immediately with the car
started from cold. A/c was off and the temp guage hadn't even started to
move and the rad fan came on!

The fan does not run on after the engine is switched off.  Is this correct?
On most other modern cars I  have had the fan continues to run for a few
minutes to dissipate excess heat.  This one just stops as soon as the
ignition is off.

I have found some sort of electrical device mounted behind the rad fan cowl.
I think it may be an air temp sensor.  It has an exposed cylinder the size
of a wine bottle cork with a wire coil which looks corroded and distinctly
unhealthy.

This is currently Prime Suspect, even if it doesn't yet have a name or
obvious function!

Guy