[alfa] re: overheating 156

At 8:20 PM +0000 9/16/03, alfa-digest wrote:
So this is what I find....
I don't think it is the guage.  I can get it to rise and fall using the
heater fan on full roast setting.  It could be the sensor as the temp does
seem erratic.  On the first 20 miles the temp behaved absolutely normally.
I then stopped for a while and when I re-started the temp rose within 2
miles to near to red light warning level.  Switching on the heater brought
it down again.  Given that both the warning light and the guage indicate
overheating, then I think it is not a guage problem.
I don't know much about the newer cars, but on my GTV-6 the gauge and warning light are on the same sensor.

I now suspect that although the fan works, it may be that it is cutting in
and out erratically.  So it could be an intermittent switch or sensor
problem.  I need to try and rig up a test for it.
Are you sure about that? I know Audi and Maserati have done this in the past, but it seems like a pretty stupid thing to do. I would have thought that the last thing Alfa would want to do would be to make the timing belt on that engine less reliable by passing it over an additional pulley that can seize up or become very wobbly, or spray slippery liquid. Yikes.

-Joe