Re: [alfa] replacement fuel hose 164 - bmw part #s

Jason Hagen wrote:
5/16 is 7.9 mm. This is pretty damn close to 8mm and shouldn't be a problem. The difference I am wondering about is the wall thickness between the SAWE 5/16 I see at the autopart stores and the fuel line on my 164Q and BMW.
I was just as confused the last time this came up. My theory: I don't "BMW" hose is really 8mm. I'm betting it's 7.5mm. This would explain why it seems to work where 7.9mm hose is claimed not to work. It also explains why this topic is so damn confusing.

That said I've had no problems using 5/16"(7.9mm) EFI hose with EFI hose clamps (screw based instead of worm based.). I don't like those metal "hats" used by Alfa on the L-Jet cars.

Data point: The fuel supply hoses in the engine compartment of my then newly acquired '91 164S were all cracked. Some looked original some where replaced at some point a few years earlier.

--Mark
http://alfa.denovich.org