Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's

At 03:04 PM 9/10/2003, you wrote:

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 07:43:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Otto Schug <schugof@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Oil Pump: Alfa vs. Porsche 944

Alfa Oil Pump vs. Porsche 944 External Oil Pump

Alfisti,

Even though my son, Chip, and I have 11 Alfas, I have an 84 Porsche 944. The 944 blew a head gasket because of a stuck relief valve and a clogged oil return line. Therefore, I am working on the 944.

The Alfas have an oil pump that is driven by gears off of the distributor which is driven by gearing off the crankshaft. Because of the friction created, the oil pumps do not necessarily have a long life. In dealing with the 944, I found that it has an oil pump similar in design to the water pump and the oil pump, like the water pump, is external to the block and belt driven from the crankshaft pulley. I understand, in talking to others, that most race cars have the same design of an external oil pump. Obviously, the external pump has a longer life and more reliable pressure creation through the impeller.

Has anyone ever used an external oil pump on a 4 cylinder Alfa and, if so, where did you get it and how did you install it? Even though the 944 has an oil cooler attached to the block above the headers, I will continue to follow the concept of a oil cooler in the air stream through a separate radiator. But what about the oil pump?

Otto F. Schug schugof@domain.elided