[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #780

Hello yet again.....

My 1966 Duetto has just developed sputtering problems when cold. If I let it
sit overnight upon startup the next day it sputters. I will let the car idle
for 1 minute first.
Then try to pull away, there appears to be minor backfire coming from the
exhaust. In addition, there is limited power to get going.

Once it heats up for a few minutes (3 min) it runs like a champ!

I just had my carbs sync'ed and tuned. The mechanic has 30 years with
Webbers. He tuned the car when it was warm.
He performed compression tests and determined that all cylinders are at 150,
excellent. He used the flow meter gauge to sync and set carbs. So no doubt
he did a good job.
But it was running fine cold and hot prior to the carb adjustments. Even
though they were way out of tune and sync!

After he tuned them the car ran and still runs great when warm but with
limited power when cold??????

He also changed the distributor cap and put new lodge plugs in the car.

I have tried using the choke on, choke off, choke 1/2 way etc, when cold.
There is still the power issue when cold!

Could it be a foul plug, a bad cap, time to change the wires and rotor??? Or
is it the carbs?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions....

TIA
RA