[alfa] Changing Oil, etc.

In a message dated 9/9/2003 10:26:01 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 07:31:31 -0400
> From: "Michael Kovach" <mskovach@domain.elided>
> Subject: [alfa] Changing Oil, etc.
>
> First, thanks to all that responded to my question about tow-dollying. For
> the
> record, I wound up not disconnecting the driveshaft, starting the engine and
> letting it run for awhile periodically (actually, left it running on a
> couple
> of legs of the trip) and my new (78 Volace) Spider and I made the trip fine.
> Secondly, looking for info on how much oil the 1975cc should be fed when a
> change (with filter) is done, and if the filter is common/available (figured
> I'd ask before I started---nothing like a car on ramps while you run around
> looking for the right filter...sound like the voice of experience?!)
> Thanks again for all the input on dollying.

       Pull the valve cover and get rid of the half quart of dirty oil in the
cam galleys.  Use a turkey baster to suck the oil out followed with paper
towels.
       I also like to drop the lower oil sump from the oil pan, especially on
an Alfa that is new to me.  The baffled oil pan tends to accumulate lots of
grunge.  Pan gasket is a bitch to get in without ripping it, so I use silly
cone sealer for the pan, but do not use too much.
       The empty Alfa four cylinder will hold 7 1/2 to 8 quarts, including
the cam galleys.  Pour half a quart in there before you replace the valve cover.
 I prefer a 20 W 50 oil.
       While the valve cover is off, you just as well check the valve
clearances and check the timing chain tension.
       Oil filters are readily available.  If you like Fram, the PH-16 or
PH-3963 will work.  Check a cross reference book for other brands.  I really
prefer Wix filters, but do not have a Wix number.  Italian filters are also
available.  I am currently running the Technocar R-341.  Or check the Alfa Digest
archives for the many oil filter flame wars that have occurred.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City