[alfa] 164 door stuck shut (redux)

The driver's door on my 91 164 is stuck shut.  The auto door locks work on all
the other doors but won't keep this door in the unlocked position, even when
you pull the lock button manually and hold it there, the door latch won't
release.

I have removed the door liner enough to see and get at the locking mechanism
and no matter what I push,  pull or prod cannot get the door latch to release.

Jonathan Coates (UK) wrote of a "magic" tab that needs to be pushed when this
happens but for  the life of me I can't find it. (Jonathan, is it possible
that the Euro 164 have a different mechanism?).

At this point I just need to get the door open.  I will probably have to
replace the latching assembly.

HOW CAN I GET THE DOOR OPEN?

ANYONE HAVE THE LATCHING MECHANISM TO SELL?

ANY OTHER IDEAS?

Thanks,

Don