[alfa] Spider with issues .... help

I have an '86 spider and things have been going pretty well for a while but
alas that has changed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Problem 1:
It will not start at all anymore, however this morning it did start and run
long enough to get out of the garage and a bit down the drive. Then it died,
and has not started again since. The start turns things very well and that all
seems in order so my guess was either no fuel to fire or no spark to fire it.
After grumbling a bit I took the panel out behind the seats and the fuse there
is blown, looks like it got awfully hot as the little plastic holder even has
some melting. I have no idea what fuse rating this fuse needs to be - can
someone let me know what this fuse rating should be and have any bright idea
what could be the real problem that caused the melt down ?

Problem 2: (maybe the real problem)
About 4 weeks ago the car started acting up a little. Periodically when
driving the brake warning and temp lights would come on and then fade, just as
they do when first starting up. Next, a week or so later the entire panel lit
up and the car died. I pulled over and it restarted immediately. These have
both happened a number of times now but the actual dieing has only occurred on
really hot days (95 +) when the car has been driven left for an hour or so in
the full sun and then driven again. I know that the alternator is not perfect
but have no idea how this could cause this kind of problem.

If you can shed any light on this that would be great. I would be more than
happy to provide any details that I may have overlooked.

Thanks

Tim