[alfa] Alfetta starter behavior

Cats,

The starter in my Alfetta is behaving differently now. It seems
to take a few seconds to disengage most of the time. At first the
car took a few tries to stay lit, and I didn't think too much about
it. But now there is clearly some scraping noises coming from
that area as the car struggles to stay lit, and some light scraping
for a spell when fully idling. The scraping is a repetitive scraping,
so it is clearly something in the way of the ring gear.

The starter used to pause sometimes when starting, and I thought
a relay and a separate pushbutton would cure that. It seemed to
at first, but the pause came back a few months ago. Now this
problem after kicking over.

I realize the solenoid does the engaging and disengaging. Is the
solenoid replaceable, or does the whole starter and sol. need to
get replaced? Is the ring gear on my flywheel getting damaged
as this goes on?

Thanks,
Stefano
Oakland, CA