Gear Lightening - cont.

I also don't know why the factory didn't address the 2nd gear synchro problem.  It has been around as long as the 5-speed.  It is my understanding that the 4-speeds have enough less rotating mass so that the synchros work better and wear longer.  Apparently Alfa didn't re-engineer the box when the 5th gear was added.  I had Mike Besic rebuild my box recently and didn't touch the gears.  It shifts great, but you still can't get in a big hurry.  No more miles than I put on my car, I expect the synchros to last a long time.

I did lighten the flywheel, though.  That makes it easier to match revs quickly and will presumably extend the life of the synchros.  We'll see!

Erik Wood
'74 GTV
'56 Giulietta Spider (tunnel case - different synchros all together!)