From: Ray Cordova <cordovar@domain.elided>
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: Re: Gear Lightening
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:49:53 -0700 (PDT)

Clay,
I'll second (third?) the opinions shared by Brian & Mark. Gear lightening is
something you definately want to do if you're 'getting into the box'. Your
question and the resultant responses were regarding spiders and I've got a
transaxle car but the reason for doing it and the results are the same. I had
messed around with different lubricants but there was no comparison to
improvement that resulted from the reduction in rotating mass. There are a
number of internet sites that provide more information on the job, so I won't
repeat that information here. All I'll say is, that it's true. I had all the
gears in my box done by Merrit Carden (I hope he doesn't mind the advertisement)
and I will say that 1) the difference in 'shiftability' was dramatic, and 2) the
quality of workmanship was *very* impressive. Finally, I'd say that the guy
down the street *might* be able to do the job, but I'll bet that it wouldn't be
that much cheaper than having someone like Merrit do the job - and he knows what
he's doing. Figure, would you go to some guy to get a tooth cavity filled
because he said he could do it and had collection of dental implements or go to
a known and recommended dentist?

-Ray
'84 GTV 6
San Diego.