lug nut torque settings and jack points for '74 GTV

In a message dated 8/26/2003 9:52:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:50:26 -0700
> From: "Eric Valley" <ericvalley@domain.elided>
> Subject: lug nut torque settings and jack points for '74 GTV
>
> Gentlemen:
>
> I've read the manuals, and they seem to indicate that the proper torque
> settings for the lug nuts on my favorite car ('74 GTV) is from approx. 37 to
> 54.   Is this right?  (The terminology in the manuals for front and rear is
> different, and neither says "lug nuts.")  Also, what are the proper jack
> points?  Ball joints front and axle rear?
>
> Apologies and all respect to Mr. DiMatteo, who may have mellowed as he
> graciously put up with similar ill-informed questions from me.  (He even
> offered to help me personally by telephone help with a '77 Alfetta GT Sprint
> Veloce that, as he put it, my Chevy [and Porsche] "FRIENDS" had messed all
> up.)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Eric Valley
> Shelton WA

       I torque wheels to 65 or 70 foot pounds.  The book setting is a bit
light to my taste.  Steel wheels can take more torque than aluminum.
       Jacking points are four square tubes at the front and rear of the
rocker panels on each side.  However, carefully check the floor boards around them
before jacking there.  I have pushed a floor jack up through the floor
attempting to use the stock jacking points.
       If your jack will slide under the lower front A arms, then jack there.
 If not, drive up onto a tubba four, then jack.  And the center of the rear
axle is OK too.  People may warn you not to jack under the aluminum rear end's
center section, but I have been doing it for years with no problems.
       Use good jack stands and shake the car vigorously after they are set.
If the car falls off, do not get under it!
  Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City