Re: Timing belt

       The guage is reading high, AND the fan is cutting in.

at what temp?

This makes me think that
a) the thermostat is opening, else the sensor for the fan wouldn't be
operating.

isn't one the thermostat the standard bimetalic job and the fan sensor a
separate electrical sender or are they somehow a combo unit on your car?

So I am assuming the thermostat to be OK

too soon, possibly

b) You may be right, that the rad may not be doing its job.  So perhaps I
will remove and reverse flush that first.

Guy's suggestion is good too. You may need to back-flush the rad. also.

An Alfa mechanic told me that the (nylon) impeller on these pumps has a
habit of slipping on the shaft and reducing its efficiency.  This is what
made me think of the pump at this mileage, but I am putting off that job
until I have properly eliminated all other (easier) solutions!

This reminds me that my cuz in London told me somehting about having to
spend a vast amount of money to replace a component on his 156 because
it is - bizarrely - made of plastic. I'll e-mail him and ask him if it
was the pump.

Do you think I am right with my analysis of the thrmostat?

You have mentioned nothing about the age/milage/service history oif your
car so I am assuming it is not so old, not so high miles and has been
correctly cared for and am looking at other possible causes.

From your e-ddress, I gather you are in the UK. I note that you did not
report that the coolant is boiling but you believe the motor runs hot?
Is "hot" in fact hot? How hot is the ambient temperature when you are
seeing the gauge high? Are you driving on open road or in traffic?

Does the thermostat actuate the fan or is there a separate sensor? If
the latter, then you may be wrong.

Again, how do you know the thermostat is opening *fully* and how do you
know that it is opening early enough?

Nicky