RE: Indecisive speedo needle

>What is the common reason for a wagging speedo needle?
>I can live with mine, but every time I see the thing, I think I ought >to ask.
>(Oh yeah - in the GTV)

James,
A common cause of "wagging" speedo needle is a kink in the speedo
cable sheath which often happens when work is done on the transmission,
drive shaft, and sometimes exhaust system.  The kink causes extra
friction in the cable which allows it to temporarily wind up then
suddenly release with a corresponding jerk in the speedo needle.
Once kinked, it can't be undone. Just replace the whole cable assy.
Gil
1985 Spider