RE: 115 speedometer

> >I've been cruising the Pacific Northwest on an extended vacation in
my
> >GTV almost trouble free for a month now. One aggrevation is that the
> >speedometer cuts out frequently on long drives. Sometimes after only
7
> >or 30 miles. Sometimes it will come to life on its own, but usually
it
> >returns only after the car has been shut off for a while. On these
> >cars, does the speedometer work by the cable spinning a device that
> >creates an electro-magnetic current which causes the needle to
rotate?
> >Any quick or temporary fixes? Is it possible that the end of the
cable
> >slips in the back of the speedometer or is it more likely that there
is
> >an electrical short in the instrument?
> >
> >Replies most welcomed.
> >
> >Dave
>
> Dave, I'll bet it is the speedo cable at one end is slipping,
> probably at the trans end.
>
> The cable ends have a squared tip, and they can become rounded.  I've
fixed
> such problems by adding a bend at the tip (like "__/") to further
prevent
> slipping in the female fitting in the trans or speedo.  In extreme
> conditions I add a dab of JB Weld epoxy to the cable tip before
> reassembly.  Or you could buy a new cable and hope it remedies the
problem..

Excellent advice.  One question to ask, does the odometer work during
the time the speedo is not working?

If so, then the cable is probably fine, and you have a problem internal
to the gauge.  Yes, there are magnets in there..

If not, then it's probably the cable.  One tip I think I heard from Fred
at one point is that sometimes you need to stretch the inner cable a
little bit so that it will engage at both ends.  This is true sometimes
even for new cables.

HTH,

bs