115 Speedometer

I've been cruising the Pacific Northwest on an extended vacation
in my GTV almost trouble free for a month now. One aggrevation is
that the speedometer cuts out frequently on long drives. Sometimes
after only 7 or 30 miles. Sometimes it will come to life on its
own, but usually it returns only after the car has been shut off
for a while. On these cars, does the speedometer work by the cable
spinning a device that creates an electro-magnetic current which
causes the needle to rotate? Any quick or temporary fixes? Is it
possible that the end of the cable slips in the back of the
speedometer or is it more likely that there is an electrical short
in the instrument?

Replies most welcomed.

Dave
74 GTV