Re: Volvos and Audis (MAC)

I too have an S40 as a daily driver.  It is a decent little car overall, and you can get good deals on them since it is slated for replacement soon.  Mine has had its share of annoying electrical glitches (power seats, sunroof switch, and most annoyingly, some sensor gizmo that did not allow you to get the tranny out of park).  It drives nicely, and is pretty economical.  Was not my first choice, but I got a heckuva deal on it last year compared to the A4 and the 9-3, and the dealer was the most professional (GM will ruin Saab if they continue to let them be sold through Cadillac dealers...)

We had an 89 Audi 100 that my wife just adored.  Bought it used as her daily driver in 93 instead of a new 164 since she did not want to have nothing but Alfas in the garage (BTW, when we got married she brought the first Alfa into the family). Very reliable, pretty slow, but it always got the job done.  Plus, nobody does interiors like Audi.  A friend has an 87 5000 Turbo, and it has 227K+ miles on it, and it just keeps going.  Also, his and my (former) Audis have some of the best paint I have seen from a durability standpoint.

Arno Leskinen
Gilbert AZ USA
115
116