RE: How do I get the pulley off the alternator?

Jason.

Use an impact wrench.  Wrap the pulley with a shoptowel and hold it with
your hand.  The wrench will buzz the nut right off.  If you don't own one
and I assume you do not, take the alternator to someone who does.  I
recommend that if you approach an auto repair shop for this service that
you cary the alternator in one hand and a box of donuts in the other.
Once-upon-a-time, I too followed the 'book', locked the pulley in a vise
and promptly bent it.

Graham L. Davis