Re: 164 alternatives

In struggling to deal with the timing-belt bust, I rented a Mazda "6"
(apparently replacing the 626).

Not a great disappointment.  Tough to get perspective....I thought this
thing was lighter -- in fact it is almost 1000# heavier.  And though a
2.3L four-banger, not a drag.  Quick.  Seemingly good handling, and good
brakes.

If they were to put this mill in the Miata, l-o-o-k out.....

Mazda makes a respectable auto.

r.m.bies

(OK, cruising down the 'pike in the 164 <is> more pleasant -- but not by
much -- the 164 is an amazing turnpike cruiser.  This Mazda is <some>
four-banger. and they do make a 24v DOHC V6)