GTV-6 alignment

In a message dated 8/12/2003 8:55:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 20:48:53 -0400
> From: Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided>
> Subject: GTV-6 alignment
>
> I had my GTV-6 aligned today.  I used some specs I got from the
> digest, I believe: -1.5 deg. camber, 1/8" toe out, 3 deg. caster.
> I'm not too pleased with the results.  The camber looks extreme, the
> toe is over 30 times the maximum in the shop's computer, and floaty
> steering makes me think the caster should have been a lot higher.  I
> have to take it back anyway because they failed to center the wheel,
> and tried to set the caster by shimming the lower A-arm.  Does anyone
> else have any specs they can recommend?  I'm especially curious about
> the toe you all run.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe Elliott
> '82 GTV-6

       Unless this is a full time dedicated race car, those alignment specs
are way off.  Even on my SCCA 84 spider, I run only zero toe.  The race car
also has two degrees negative camber and two degrees caster.
       I would go with no more than one degree negative camber for a street
car and preferably less.  Caster is somewhat personal choice in my opinion.  I
think the stock caster for a spider is about 1 1/2 degrees.  I have run as
much as 4 1/2 degrees on the race track.
       The only reason to go with front toe out on a rear wheel drive car is
to make the car turn into corners.  The toe out will make it a bitch to drive
in a straight line and it will hurt both gas and tire mileage, plus top speed
will be less.  Assuming you can drive it straight at top speed.
       So set the toe to zero or slightly toe in.
       Why not just have everything aligned to factory specs for the Alfa?
The factory did know a thing or two.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City