Re: multi viscosity erl

John Katos has it right - the marvels of modern chemistry. - the 10W-40 in this example behaves like a 40 W would at the same/hot temp. In theory, both straight 40W and the 10W-40 should exhibit the same viscosity at normal operating temp.
complete speculation on my part - but doubt the oil pump would have any trouble picking up either at any temp - if the oil is at the pump pickup. AGIP sells a 10W-60 synthetic for racing and cars running it have no trouble in the pick up department.

"how the Alfa engines do NOT have the problem that my Quattro engine displays..." there is always the ugly prospect that the Audi is generating bigger lateral Gs??? naah, couldn't be.

I've never seen the inside of an Audi sump, does anyone know if it has the good layout and baffles the Alfa does?
andy