RE: RTV on Cylinder Liner O-Rings, or Not...?

Dennis -

I've built a lot of Alfa engines in the last 20+ years, some race, many
street.

I've never heard of using RTV on the liner 'o' rings, and have never done so
and have never had a problem (knocking on wood). I agree, that they look
awfully frightening, but they seem to work.

My procedure is this: I will thoroughly clean the block, paying attention to
the area that the liner o' ring contacts and make sure that this is
absolutely clean. There is usually a build up of accumulated crud here. I
also clean the bores in the block that the liner fits into so that they
slide right in.

When everything is as clean as can be I begin the assembly. I put a small
amount of synthetic grease (not petroleum based, as that will damage the
seals) on both the lower portion of the liner (where it fits into the block)
and the o' ring.

The liner should slide right in very easily. When all four liners are
installed, I use two lengths of copper pipe with some large washers on
either end and head nuts on the top to hold the liners in place. You can
also use some large sockets, or the factory tool (which is nothing more than
a length of pipe with a flange on one end).

Remove these just prior to installing the head and you should not have any
problems.

HTH, YMMV ...

Jeff