re: oil

I've seen a number of strong endorsements of Valvoline, so now I'm a little less excited about my discovery that Kendall makes a 10w50 synthetic blend that I can get for $13/6qts. in Cincinnati. I'm seriously considering trying the Valvoline high mileage 20w50 for 3000mi first.

Cordova Ralph said that his car stopped leaking when he went to the high mileage Valvoline. The question I'd really like to know the answer to is whether anyone's seen a difference in oil *consumption* with this oil, as compared to either regular-formula Valvoline, or another brand of oil.

I guess I've convinced myself that a synthetic oil will burn off less than a mineral oil--is that a reasonable thing to think?

Thanks,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6