Sacrificial Magnesium Plug

In a message dated 8/4/2003 12:15:03 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 21:54:25 -0700
> From: Fred &Mel Zimmermann <fredmelzimm@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: What are these screws for, and why is coolant leaking out ofone
> of  them?
>
> Matt,
> I have always heard that they were freeze plugs! You should replace one with
> sacraficial Magnesium plug that is available from most of the Alfa sources.
> You
> will have to drain the coolant down to a level that will prevent the coolant
> from flooding the head between the cam covers. the Mag plug will prevent of
> at
> least slow down the electrolysis that occurs in your aluminum engine! A
> sparing
> amount of silicone seal will prevent leakage! Be careful to use it
> sparingly!
> It's not good to get it in your cooloing system!
> Fred Zimmermann
> AROCCC
> 3 Alfa's all with Mag plugs in the head!

       The magnesium sacrificial anodes sound like the greatest thing since
sliced bread.  But where does the magnesium go when it has been sacrificed?
       It ends up in the bottom of the water jacket!

       I put a pair of sacrificial anode plugs in the block drains of my
Milano.  A couple of years later, I needed to drain the antifreeze.  I removed the
plugs, but nothing came out of the block.  After poking around with a
screwdriver, coolant would finally run out of the engine.
       I will not be buying any more sacrificial anodes for my Alfas.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City