Re: Verde wheels, and other options

John Katos , replying to Russ Tine's question about fitting 15" Verde wheels
on his Milano Silver, wrote "I am sure the bolt pattern is the same but the
studs may be too short. I assume this because when I bought steel silver
wheels for snows I had to get extra long lug nuts."

I don't know, but I assume that the studs are a constant and the lug nuts
change in lockstep with the wheels. This was the case with the '72-up 115 and
116 cars, and was perfectly logical from both the manufacturing and post-build
service standpoints. I can't see a reason for Alfa doing otherwise later.

Unless Tine's choice of Verde wheels was prompted by expedient availability or
an aesthetic preference I would wonder about considering other options. 164
wheels fit, after slight opening of the hubcentric interface; the slotted
Speedlines (or 'wineglass' pattern wheels) of the Milano Platinums and late
GTV 6s fit (as do the unpopular oddball metric GTV 6 wheels) and so do the
original GTV 6 wheels, the most direct (in my opinion) of the lot. I have
heard that the Verde wheels tend to be soft, easily bent, and relatively
heavy; the wineglass slotted Speedlines which came on my Platinum are (like
much Italian design) visually striking but less rationally defensible than I
would prefer. I've been considering replacing mine with a set of the early GTV
6 pattern, powdercoated black to match the car color, which would invite
concurrent general dechroming and legal maximum window tinting to make a
slightly sinister and very un-red car in a late burst of frivolously
self-indulgent kustomizing. Haven't altered an Alfa's appearance since I
dechromed a Giulietta Spider, (my first and last red car) forty years ago, but
sometimes residual adolescence dies hard.

Enjoy yours,

John H.