The Alfa Formerly Known as Pinkie

       My pink primered 82 Alfa Spider Veloce hot rod is on eBay wearing a
fresh coat of Flash Red paint.  It looks quite good, I think.  I sold the car to
Garry Stotts some months ago.  Garry redid the cosmetics, but decided the
suspension modifications made it ride to rough for his tastes.  He traded it for
a B*W with automatic... and the dealer has in listed on eBay: <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2424501348#ebayphotohosting";>Click here: eBay
item 2424501348 (Ends Jul-26-03 10:10:11 PDT) - Alfa Romeo : Spider Veloce</A>

       Someone needs to buy this Alfa.  I redid every moving part of it in
1996 or about 15,000 miles ago.  As Steven Kernyanski said, I took it down to
the screws and painted the screws.
       Engine is balanced, blueprinted, and drilled for oil to all five main
bearings.  Rods were reworked and polished with new Motronic pistons.  Cams
were left stock to be legal in SCCA's street prepared autocross class.  I have
said that a relatively stock L Jetronic engine will turn over 7000 rpm and this
one will.
       I estimate I had over $8000 invested in the car.  Everything in the
suspension was new including adjustable upper control arms, all new bushings
(urethane where available), tie rod ends, new Centerline springs, new Yellow
Konies, shimmed double disk limited slip, rebuilt transmission, etc. Most of the
rubber bits and hoses were replaced.
       The body was a straight rust free Florida car that I had plastic media
blasted to bare metal.  About $2000 of body work was done, including filling
the side marker lights and all holes for the chrome trim.  I rolled the wheel
well lips flat, and painted under the hood and fender wells in Flash red.
       I had it painted with red tinted primer that turned out quite a nice
(I thought) color of pink.  I drove it that way for seven years putting on
approximately 2000 miles a year.  I sold it this past spring and the new owner
changed the seats and finished the interior.  He then had the car painted 89
Dodge Flash Red, which is a very close match for the original 514 Alfa red, but
with less orange tinge.
       So, while the car is no longer mine, I would like to see it go to a
nice Alfa home.

       Oh, yes, at the 1998 Alfa convention in Kansas City, this Alfa turned
fourth fastest time of day at the time trial at Hallett.  It was only slightly
slower than Richard Ballentine's 1750 powered TZ.  And it was close to the
fastest time of day at the autocross at the same convention, behind John Hoard
and Dee Schweikle.  I think FTD was 39+ seconds and this Alfa turned a 40 flat
during fun runs with David Small driving.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City