Re: Alfa-powered specials...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Witek" <pwitek@domain.elided>
To: <thebaylys@domain.elided>
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2003 10:53 PM
Subject: Alfa-powered specials...

> Paul -
> Alternately, and this could be of more interest to you as the Alfasud/33
series were actually sold there, I've come across a website by a fellow in
the UK who describes dropping an Alfa boxer engine into his Porsche 356
replica.  Apparently there's a company selling an adapter kit that allows
you to bolt up an Alfa boxer to a VW transaxle.

> This could open up a lot of possibilities, as there are a blue million kit
cars out there designed for a rear-engine VW pan.  Again, it doesn't strike
me as too insurmountable to weld up an Alfa based alternative - maybe
Alfetta torsion-bar front suspension, deDion rear with an IRS VW/Porsche
transaxle and Alfasud/33 boxer engine in the rear.

> Where this idea gets really interesting is when you consider the VW-based
Formula Vee cars - but with an Alfa boxer in the rear.  Hmmm...

> - Paul Witek

Paul,
One could use a 'Sud drivetrain (33) to build a 33 Can-Am
replica/lookalike/copy/special.  Here's some inspiration.
http://www.alfaclub.org.au/philstorr/sirius/sirius2.htm

Alfasud stuff is very cheap over here and perfectly suited a  mid engine
design.  Lots of possibilities but I have an Alfetta laying in the yard and
the 'sud castings aren't as attractive !  The 'Sud gear would make for a
great open wheeler hillclimb special though

Beatle
Oz