Engine break in aviation style

When I used to help break in new/overhauled light aircraft engines the
standard procedure was to have the airplane towed to the end of the runway,
start up the engine...do a full power runup..checking the magneto (yep,
magneto) ignition systems and go fly at full throttle for 5-10 hours.  Of
course, they had been previously leaked checked previously and run for a
little while, but at least at high power...we really tried to minimize the
time the engine spent idling.

These engines were air-cooled, horizontally opposed types that are made to
run at more-or-less constant power settings and hi-RPM for them would be
about 2700, and they put out 160-200hp.  So they are a little different but
piston engines, nonetheless.

There are a lot of ideas and methods behind engine break in, but if its the
aviation industry standard, it can't be too bad a method....