Steering box slop

Just catching up on Digest:

>Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:22:10 -0400
>From: "Kevin Redden" <kredden@domain.elided>
>Subject: How hard to replace steering box?
>
>Hi,  has anyone replaced a ZF steering box on an 86 or similar vintage
Spider?  It appears that >my steering wheel slop is actually in the box
itself rather than the other components.  I've tightened the adjustment
screw all the way and there is still 2 inches of slop.  Anyway, is
replacing the steering box something that isn't too complex that I can
do with ramps and/or jack stands or should I leave it up to the
professionals?

>Thanks,
>Kevin
>86 Spider

Kevi n--

Did you check the idler arm -- the bushings wear and that can lead to
slop.

Bill Bain
AROC Atlanta