Re: alfa-digest V9 #641

Hey Gang!
Just thought I'd ruin your day... Seriously, this Autodelta thing has me
quite amused... About six years ago while working at a US Naval base I stumbled
upon a new model Alfa spider complete with all necessary US license plates,
stickers and valid state inspection decals. I hung around until I met the owner a
Navy captain. I asked where, how and can I get one... He said he bought the
car during a port visit in Italy, loaded it onto a shipping pallet, wrapped it
in shrink rap and set it in the well deck of the LPD he commanded. He unloaded
it when he got back to the US.  He registered it by going to the DMV and
telling them that it was a "164 Spider." Having dealt with the people at most state
DMVs and having my Alfetta sedan registered for 6 years by my state DMV as a
"sedancoupespider" I can believe this... When we discussed the problem of
state inspections, emission testing and the like he pointed out that most of the
inspectors don't really know what an Alfa is so they never ask any questions as
long as the car passes all of the tests. I have kept in touch with this man
and the car is still licensed and used as a weekend toy. I have first refusal
if he decides to sell and I have promised not to tell his name or the state in
which he currently resides... I'll save the locals some trouble, he does not
live in Virginia nor is that where the car entered the US
Thomas Gonnella