RE: Our Usual Anti-American Tirades

Hang on...!

I'm British and... Well - I was going to construct an argument but decided
that there wasn't one...!

One of the earlier replies to this stream proposed that the different cars and
driving styles evolved from the needs of that particular environment.  You
could even drill down a bit and state that different regions (states) have
different automotive requirements and styles. What passes as acceptable
driving in London would earn you a set of bagpipes up the a*** in the quiet,
secluded lanes of Scotland. All true, but with one caveat... passion.  I've
driven through Europe on overnighters to get down as far as Northern Italy,
and you KNOW when you've crossed the Italian border.  Italians have a passion
for cars that just isn't evident any where else in the world.  If you drive
through areas such as Modena or Marenello you are often passed by exotica
driving on the limit, cheered by the old and young alike as they thunder
through small towns and villages.  This includes the police, who beam with
satisfaction at the sight of cars being REALLY driven, and not just used on
the commute, or ferrying kids to school. There isn't a division of sex either,
as women in Italy attack the roads with as much brio as the men (and can do
the forearm thing with just as little provocation!)

But that's why we love Alfas... built for people who love cars BY people who
love cars.

BTW in the UK there's a fair amount of ECU chipping going on in the later
Alfas.  The chipped 156 JTD (2.4) makes more torque than a Ferrari 360, for
about $500 a chip.  I've chipped my 156 TS and although no real horsepower
gain (up to about 164 from stock 155 bhp) much cleaner fuelling and less of a
pronounced power step at 2800 rpm - a problem with all early Twin Spark
engines apparently. The "soft" red line is also now 7500rpm, up 500 rpm.  All
in all $350 well spent.

Has anyone tried the Carbon Dynamic intake system on a late Alfa (supposed to
liberate 18-20 hp) ?

I'm working in Malaysia for a few months and have only seen 1 Alfa since I've
been here (sniff),  a 146. Lots of Protons though !

Martin Dickson

156 2.0 TS lusso (99)
GTV 2.0 V6 Turbo (LHD 99)
AlfaSud Cloverleaf (83) (now gone....)