Duetto headlight upgrade

I can't say that I've tried the HID route, but there is a basic
engineering problem with HID lights -- without a lot of "engineering"
they aren't capable of both a high and a low beam in the same reflector
(there's no dual filament, so to speak).  I have seen kits that
supposedly move the bulb to approximate the location of the low beam,
but I can't say how well they work.

A cheaper solution would be to fit H4 or HB2 lights to the Duetto.  The
H4 lights I have in my '83 Spider are significantly better than even the
"halogen" sealed beams they replaced. IAP sells what I think is a
"Z-beam" copy by Hella (I think) for about $80 a pair and most
motorcycle shops can fit a 7" round H4 for you.  I use the standard
65w/45w bulb, which is about the same current draw as the stock sealed
beams.  The only caveat is that the H4 lights don't have the little tabs
for the headlight mounting machines, and you'll probably have to re-aim
your lights anyway if you've messed with them trying to "improve" the
lighting from the stock sealed beams.

Bill Bain
AROC Atlanta