164 transmission problem

Hello,

My 1991 Alpha 164 (base) has developed a strange problem
when starting in 1st gear. I can put it into 1st gear, and
when I start letting out the clutch, the
transmission "bangs" as 1st gear engages. It has been
getting noticibly more violent. My Alpha mechanic replaced
a broken motor mount and this didn't help. Now we are
thinking something internal to the xmission, perhaps some
rod/arm problem.

I do not have any problems putting it into gear, it doesn't
pop out of gear, nor does the tranny slip in any gear. This
problem does not happen in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. Reverse is
slightly similar but not to the extreme. Problem on flat
roads, all times of day, all weather types. Car has 105K
miles...

Any ideas?

Regards,

Paciman