RE: tightening fasteners

I learned that when tightening fasteners, if you do indeed back off the nut,
you should re-cinch it a bit in the direction to tighten it, this puts
everything back under tension.  There is still free space in those threads, and
you are leaving yourself open for them to loosen up if you back the nut off and
don't do a little re-tighten to seat the threads.  I picked that up in my
bicycle repair classes.

Steve Schaeffer
Seattle, WA
'65 GTA
'00 Gary Fisher Sugar 3 mtn bike

*****

Tighten it up to a good tight feel, back it
off a smidgen, then smack the washer over and you're done.