More spider speedo woes

So I posted a few weeks ago that turning the speedo sending unit around
and plugging the cable into the other side solved my intermittently
working speedo problems as well as the jitters when it did work.  After
a couple weeks of it working 100% of the time I finally decided that,
hey, this really fixed it!  Well, that did it, ever since then it is
back to the intermittent working, when I hit bumps in the road it will
usually flick up to speed and then more often then not die again
although sometimes it will work for 5-10 minutes before heading south
again.  Here's what I've tried so far, does anyone have any more
suggestions?

* Pulled the cable out of the sheath, looks well greased and in good
shape
* Pulled the speedo unit out of the instrument cluster and went at a
couple of suspicious looking solder connections
* Cleaned all of the associated connector contacts with contact cleaner
(except those buried under the dash), cleaned all the grounds connected
under the dash while I was in there.
* Flipped the sending unit around and put the cable in the other side
(fixed everything for about two weeks)

Is there anyway to test the sending unit to verify it is working
correctly?  I'd rather not try ordering a new one just to see since they
are about $140...

If I look at the records the PO gave me it looks like the speedo has had
problems in the past and the two documented "fixes" were both "tightened
connection of cable to sending unit".  It doesn't appear that the sheath
is too long for the cable, has anyone had that problem?  I guess that
would keep the cable from going all the way in but my futzing with it
seems to indicate that it does stick in far enough.

Kevin
86 Spider