Drive Shaft U joint (73 Spider) Follow on Question

Regarding my earlier question on "U" joint replacement I have since found the
International Auto Part page (www.international-auto.com/tbujoint.html) giving
the instruction "When installing new universal joints, the balancing springs
must be reinstalled in the same position with respect to the yoke". However
when the old joints were removed there were no springs installed. So is better
to leave the springs out or to put them in without the original alignment
reference WRT the yoke? What does a balancing spring do anyhow and what
happens if they're not installed?

Here's hoping for vibration free drive shafts.

Thanks again,

Al
ARCO Delaware Valley
73 Spider