Re: Spider parts CD or manual? (or??)

Kevin Redden bought the CarDisc CD for his '86 Spider "expecting a parts list
to be on there but I guess not.  I'm looking for the type that shows the
exploded diagrams with all the parts labeled", and Richard Welty suggested
that "the older CarDiscs have the parts books, so you should be able to get
this for the early Spica spiders if nothing else. the underlying mechanicals
are similar (when not identical.)"

I can't say exactly when Alfa published its last hardcopy parts book (which
would be the source cribbed for a CarDisc) but in the early eighties they
switched to microfiches, and in the mid or late nineties switched again to
CDs. The microfiches are very inexpensive, and should be available on order
from any dealer. One needs access to a fiche reader, but they are usually
available in libraries, and I have been told that since they were widely used
and the technology is obsolete used readers can be found at usually modest
prices. For the US Spider M.Y.'86 fiche #60495080 covers mechanicals and
#60495081 covers the bodywork. (Some lists use a longer format, like
00604-95080-0000, but the core numbers are the same.) There are businesses
which will print hardcopy from fiches - for a fee - and the pictures are not
as elegant or nuanced as the old parts books, but that is "progress" - -
another reason, if one is needed, for staying with the cars of the seventies.

Enjoy yours,

John H.