Bertone GTV Gas Filler Boot...help!

Gentle Alfisti,
The car I bought for restoration did not have a rubber filler boot. So now
I'd like the straight-up on how the blasted thing is supposed to be installed.
Do you run the boot lip around the internal flange BEFORE you install the tank?
The front of the boot is inaccessible when the filler pipe is there, how do
you seat the lip around the front? It's impossible!  The filler door hinge is
rivetted on and can't be removed without drilling them out, which may be my
next step. Thanks, Digest.
modelle in Somers Point