Re[2]: Searchable archives

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:55:57 -0400 Mark Denovich <mark@domain.elided> wrote:
>         Are you planning to remove, or sanitize email addresses in the
> archives?   The current archives are the only place on the web where my
> real email address can be found (easily.)  We shouldn't place such a
> bounty out there for spammers to harvest.

i'm using a newish version of MHonArc for the rebuilt archives. i'm turning
on what is called <spammode>, which excises email addresses from headers
(but not from bodies.)

removing email addresses from email bodies is challenging, and we're not
attempting that (MHonArc doesn't appear to provide such a tool, but i'll
double check.) additionally, the email addresses will remain in the ftp
archives, but i've never seen a spam harvesting system that ran against ftp
sites, only web sites.

richard