Question on leakdown, etc

Hi everyone - well my 74 GTV is currently hotelling in Santa Barbara
while I figure out what to do with it. I had my dad take it to be
checked out there, as I thought with the smoke and oil burning that a
valve job was in store. It checked out at 160/170/168/160 in
compression, and then based on the leakdown, which measured at
30%/10%/5%/37%, he recommended a full rebuild rather than just the top.
Can anyone give me an opinion on these leakdown numbers; what is
acceptable, and what my best move is? I've heard more than 10% leakdown
is a bad sign for newer cars, but does this yardstick also hold for our
old Alfas?

thanks
George