From: "Paul Irvine" <kcabpilot@domain.elided>
To: "Alfa Digest" <alfa-digest@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: Tensioner vs. Detensioner
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 16:44:30 -0700

-------------------------------
I keep seeing this device referred to as a
"tensioner", as if its vasic job is to provide tension
to the cam belt.  It is just the opposite, its job is
to relieve the excess tension that would be put on the
cam belt by the expansion of the aluminum engine as it
warms up.

I've seen this argument before and I've noted, with amusement, how some
people insist on referring to this device as a "detensioner". Whatever
floats your boat but the fact is that it's basic job IS to provide tension
to the cam belt. Don't believe me? then remove it and see how much tension
you have. The fact that it adjusts to compensate for thermal expansion and
maintain a constant "tension" doesn't change that.

Besides, "detension" isn't a word.

Paul Irvine - Antioch CA
Project Alfa - http://home.pcmagic.net/pi