Re: Tensioner

Yes, I couldn't agree more that the real design issue is the extent that the belt contacts the pulley.  Compare the Alfa V6 belt contact area (particularly around the passenger side cam which has less than
90 degrees contact) to the "brand X" V8 in the link below, where every pulley has 180 degree wrap, and the difference is shocking.  Although this one is probably a bit over engineered (check out the
tensioner).  It has a recommended belt life of 90k miles and belt slippage and such is absolutely unheard of.

http://home.san.rr.com/glehmann/4.2Front.jpg

Sure wish that Alfa had split the difference.

Gerry Lehmann
'86 GTV6 3.0